About Gel Nail Extensions
Blog Article about Gel Nail Extensions at our Wandsworth Beauty Salon
About Gel Nail Treatments
Gel nail extensions have become increasingly popular in recent years, offering a long-lasting and durable alternative to traditional nail polish. These extensions are made from a gel-like substance that is applied directly to the natural nail, providing a strong and sturdy base for polish or other nail art.
Gel nail extensions have several advantages over other types of nail extensions. For one, they are less likely to break or chip compared to acrylic nails, which can be brittle and prone to cracking.
Additionally, gel extensions are lightweight and flexible, which makes them more comfortable to wear and less likely to cause damage to the natural nail bed.
The process of applying gel nail extensions typically involves several steps. First, the natural nails are cleaned and shaped to the desired length and shape. Then, a layer of base coat is applied to the nails to help the gel adhere better. Next, several layers of the gel are applied and cured under a UV or LED lamp. Once the gel has hardened, it can be shaped and buffed to achieve the desired look. One of the main benefits of gel nail extensions is their longevity. They can last for several weeks without chipping or breaking, making them an ideal choice for special occasions or vacations. Additionally, gel extensions can be easily removed using acetone, which can dissolve the gel without damaging the natural nail underneath. However, it is important to note that gel nail extensions do require some maintenance to keep them looking their best. For example, it is recommended to avoid exposing the nails to harsh chemicals or excessive heat, as this can cause the gel to break down or peel off. Additionally, it is important to keep the nails hydrated by regularly applying cuticle oil or other moisturising products. Another consideration when getting gel nail extensions is the potential for damage to the natural nail bed. While gel extensions are generally considered safer and less damaging than acrylic nails, improper application or removal techniques can still cause harm to the nail. It is important to choose a reputable and experienced nail technician who can properly apply and remove the gel without causing damage. In conclusion, gel nail extensions are a popular and durable option for those looking to enhance the appearance of their nails. They offer several advantages over other types of nail extensions, including greater flexibility and longevity. However, it is important to take proper care of the nails to avoid damage, and to choose a skilled technician who can safely apply and remove the gel extensions.
Caring for your Gel Nail Extensions
Our expert technicians here at iLuvo Beauty Wandsworth have curated the below guidelines for caring for your beautiful new Gel Nail Extensions, following the guidelines below, will help ensure that you maintain healthy, strong, Gel Nail Extensions for many weeks before requiring a new visit to maintain or replace them.
- Avoid using your nails as tools: Your gel nail extensions may be strong, but they are not indestructible. Avoid using them to open cans, scratch surfaces, or perform other tasks that can damage them.
- Keep them dry: Excessive exposure to water can cause your gel nail extensions to lift, so be sure to wear gloves when washing dishes or doing other activities that involve water.
- Moisturise your cuticles: Keeping your cuticles moisturised can help prevent them from drying out and cracking, which can damage your gel nail extensions.
- Don't pick at them: Picking at your gel nail extensions can cause them to lift or break, so resist the urge to pick or peel them off. Avoid harsh chemicals: Products such as bleach, acetone, and other harsh chemicals can weaken and damage your gel nail extensions, so try to avoid exposing them to such substances.
- Get regular touch-ups: As your nails grow, your gel nail extensions may start to look uneven or begin to lift. To keep them looking their best, schedule regular touch-up appointments with your nail technician
By following these tips, you can help extend the life of your gel nail extensions and keep them looking beautiful for weeks to come.
Caring for your Gel Nail Extensions
Here are some precautions to keep in mind when getting and wearing gel nail extensions:
- Choose a reputable salon: Make sure the salon you choose has a good reputation for hygiene and safety. Look for a salon that uses high-quality products and follows proper sanitation procedures. This is where iLuvo Beauty come into play, our Wandsworth Beauty Salon, and Professionally Trained, Certified, Highly Skilled, and Experienced Staff, will ensure that you get the best Gel Nail Extensions.
- Avoid over-filing: Over-filing your natural nails can weaken them and make them more prone to breakage. Our expert nail technicians will ensure that the nails are applied to the optimal thickness and are not filed down too aggressively, causing damage to the underlying nails.
- Check for allergies: Some people may have an allergic reaction to the chemicals used in gel nail extensions. If you have a history of skin allergies, inform our Nail Technician before your appointment so that we can perform a patch test before applying the full set of nails.
- Take breaks between appointments: Wearing gel nail extensions for extended periods can weaken your natural nails. Take breaks between appointments to allow your nails to breathe and recover.
- Be cautious when removing them: If you decide to remove your gel nail extensions at home, be sure to follow the proper procedures to avoid damaging your natural nails. Avoid pulling or prying them off, as this can cause damage. However, we recommend that you have your nails professionally removed here at iLuvo Beauty, or another Beauty Salon.
By keeping these precautions in mind, you can help ensure that your gel nail extensions are a safe and enjoyable addition to your beauty routine.
Main benefits of gel nail extensions:
Here are a few of the main benefits of having Gel Nail Extensions with us here at iLuvo Beauty in our Wandsworth Beauty Salon.
- Long-lasting: Gel nail extensions typically last longer than traditional nail polish, which means you can enjoy beautiful, chip-free nails for several weeks.
- Versatile: Gel nail extensions come in a wide variety of colours and designs, so you can find the perfect look to match your personal style.
- Low-maintenance: Once your gel nail extensions are in place, you don't have to worry about touching them up or fixing chips like you do with traditional nail polish.
- Durable: Gel nail extensions are strong and durable, which means they are less likely to break or chip than natural nails.
- Customisable: Gel nail extensions can be customised to your specific preferences, with different shapes, lengths, and designs available.
- Can improve nail health: Gel nail extensions can help protect and strengthen natural nails, which can be beneficial for people with weak or brittle nails.
Overall, gel nail extensions offer many benefits for people looking for a long-lasting, low-maintenance way to keep their nails looking beautiful. However, it's important to remember to take proper care of your gel nail extensions to ensure they last as long as possible and don't damage your natural nails.
Gel Nail Contraindications
While gel nails are generally safe for most people, there are some contraindications to be aware of. Here are some examples:
- Nail infections: If you have an active nail infection, such as a fungal infection, it is important to avoid applying gel nails until the infection has cleared up. Applying gel nails over an infected nail can worsen the infection and lead to further damage.
- Allergies: Some people may be allergic to the ingredients in gel nails, particularly the chemicals used in the gel polish or the adhesive used to attach the extensions. If you have a known allergy to any of the ingredients, it is important to avoid using gel nails.
- Skin conditions: If you have skin conditions such as psoriasis or eczema on your hands, applying gel nails can worsen the condition and cause irritation.
- Weak or damaged nails: If your natural nails are weak or damaged, applying gel nails can further weaken them and lead to breakage.
- Pregnancy: There is limited research on the safety of gel nails during pregnancy, so it is generally recommended to avoid them during pregnancy s a precaution.
If you have any concerns about whether gel nails are safe for you, it's best to consult with one of our expert healthcare nail technicians. They can provide guidance and advice based on your specific circumstances and needs.